Skip to main content

How to make a wall

Rebuilding the ruins will start with... rebuilding the walls. And as I want to use as much local products as possible I have started to look around. In our October vacation we took home some dirt that we have found. A bit from the mine and a bit from the hills. I have not asked what kind of rock the mine is mining but I expect it to be some sort of lime (chalk). So it should be possible to use it as a mortar and plaster. 

So, to have some fun I tested out the lime and the dirt from the hills to see how it would hold in the dutch rain. For this I made a small frame and added the lime first. I only added water to it, nothing fancy. I brought less material than I expected so I only used one frame for now. While letting it dry I pressed it several times to make it compact. When it was done I added some of the red dirt to half of the frame I was using so that I could see the difference.

 

 

I then put it outside to stand in the rain for some weeks. At first, I put it in an upright position. To keep it that way I added a wooden plank which was the closest thing around. It was a good solution for the beginning of this experiment. Even though it was in the rain it remained fine.

 

I planned to secure it more to make it stay up when it would get more windy but unfortunately I had forgotten to do it. So the wind came and the board fell down and the red clay ground fell off. I quickly put it on the bench in a backward mode. Like this it got much more rain, which ran down the board and after some days the lime was almost all gone. 

So that was experiment number one. When it was dry I collected as much material as I could and tried again. Now using the last bit of lime I had so I could fill both frames. One with lime only and the other with the clay. And now with a simple rope it was secured much better. 

As it is winter time in Holland that means an endless amount of rain. During the first 10 days there was fine rain or drizzle. The material was getting wet and soft, but it stayed on the board. 

After this endless humidity there was one sunny dryish day which was especially good for our mud. But than the rain came back and this time it was with bigger drops. And now it washed away the lime part but interestingly not the clay part. 

So this is a good basis for more experiments. I'm looking into sealing it so that it will be much more protected. But the downside will be that when it is protected against the rain it will also stop breathing moisture. Which will have a negative impact on the inside of the house. 

Nevertheless, I will try it just to know what happens. I'm looking into using either soap or linseed oil. But that is for a later day.


 





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The first week of work

After the transaction we had time to think about what we could do in the village, as now we are the owners. The next option for us to go to Spain was in the autumn holidays. Earlier on we tried to combine it with Spanish classes for the kids, but we couldn’t arrange extra free time from school, so we had to stick to the one week of school vacation. We thought about starting at one of the houses which is in the relative good condition, like getting a door, so we could close it and store stuff there. But we had no electricity or tools as we had no space to keep stuff safe. So we were kind of stuck in a chicken and egg problem. To get out of this we set up a plan to get a container which we could lock. But that would not be there for this vacation. Then Maaike’s parents asked: “Would it be of any use if we were there with some tools to clear away the burrs, bushes and so on?” Of course that would be great! We were happy that they were enthusiastic and by itself there was a plan to do

El Vicino

In May we went to 'our' village to show it to the parents of Maaike. So we drove there and after a half our drive with a lot of corners we were a bit drowsy getting out of the car. And there stood a friendly man in blue overalls.  He seemed Spanish we asked Maaike to talk to him. But she did not know what to say. So we looked at each other for a couple of minutes.  Then he started to tell that the village is empty which we agreed upon off course. He also told that the village was being bought by some people. Maaike asked if she should reply and we said yes please do. After telling the we are the mysterious people we are buying the village he started to tell a lot of stories. His name is Gerardo. He was born in the village and now lives in Burgos and in the summer in Abajas.  He knew about the buy because he owns a parcel of land and did not want to sell. He want to keep it for income and only wants to rent it out. So we talked about that for a bit and as we were interested in k

Finding the right pieces of land

When we first visited B├írcena de Bureba we where guided by the current owner Marcelino. As we where interested, we told him about our project Ardbol. We explained him that we needed about 5 to 10 hectares of land. He replied that it was no problem, he knew many farmers in the area. Soon we got an image of the land area (See image below) from Marcelino without any explanation but it looked promising.  We assumed the black crosses where the pieces of land we could buy. When I checked it on the Spanish cadastral website some pieces where quite clear but some existed out of many small parts.  After the price negotiation we where anxiously waiting on which pieces of land we could buy. In august we got a large zipfile with new information. As Yasmin could not open it and we where on mobiles we needed to wait until we where behind a computer, which of course added on to the tension. Finally we could open it. In it where 64 files. 60 of each house and 4 for the land. See the next image in whic