Skip to main content


After the long journey, we placed the boxes in the container. Ready to be unpacked. Because I found it quite exciting, I waited for Maaike to do it together. I've done quite a bit with electricity before, but this was definitely more than I've ever done.

We consulted the documentation and got to work, first checking if we had received everything listed on the packing list. That was quite a search, two things turned out to be missing. After texting, it turned out that they had already been incorporated into another device.

From the off-grid center, we received two schematic drawings. We consulted them and tried to place all parts on the ground first. This seems easy with a schematic but was more challenging than expected. The colors of the diagram did not match the wires, moreover, there were labeled cables that we didn't need. Lastly, what was confusing was that the batteries did not need to be connected and that an extra fuse was provided for the generator that was not shown in the picture. Fortunately, we could video call and get live support.

Two days late but luckily still well on time, the solar panels were delivered. As agreed, with a large truck that couldn't enter the village and therefore stopped at the side of the main road. I hadn't expected the supplier not to unload them either, so we had to unload them by hand, one by one. I was there with Han and Gerard and didn't want to keep the driver waiting too long, so we quickly started unloading. Because we needed two people to take the panel from the stack and we needed two people to lift it out of the truck and stack it, I kept jumping in and out of the truck. After 35 times back and forth, I knew I would have huge muscle pain the next day, but I was happy with the panels.

Once unloaded, Maaike, who had just given an interview, came to help. The journalists from the interview also wanted to help. And so we placed 35 panels in stacks of about 8 pieces in the trailer, which was driven to the container and unloaded there and placed in the container. The best part was that we got to ride back in the trailer, just like a roller coaster.

After incorporating all the feedback from the off-grid center, I placed the equipment on the wooden wall. It's still a bit messy but looks quite professional already. Of course, the solar panels are outside, so I had to cut the cable needed for them and reapply the connectors. These are tricky connectors that I really should have a special tool for, which I don't have. And you can only click them in once, if it's not right, you have to throw away the connector, which happened to me once. Fortunately, it went well with the others.

So now that everything was ready, it was time to start up. As you can see in the video down below, everything seemed to go well except for the solar panels. They didn't want to work, but after checking everything thoroughly and initially thinking my cables were wrong, I suddenly realized that there might be a power switch on the device. And indeed there was. After switching it on, everything started working, and we had electricity!

In the initial setup, the panels were still loosely placed against the container, so over the next few days, Maaike and Gerrit worked hard to get the panels onto the container. After sawing, painting, and screwing, the result was beautiful. The semi-transparent panels protrude nicely on one side so that we can later place an outdoor kitchen underneath. As you can see in the photo, there are now 4 panels, next vacation we will expand this to 10.



Popular posts from this blog

The first week of work

After the transaction we had time to think about what we could do in the village, as now we are the owners. The next option for us to go to Spain was in the autumn holidays. Earlier on we tried to combine it with Spanish classes for the kids, but we couldn’t arrange extra free time from school, so we had to stick to the one week of school vacation. We thought about starting at one of the houses which is in the relative good condition, like getting a door, so we could close it and store stuff there. But we had no electricity or tools as we had no space to keep stuff safe. So we were kind of stuck in a chicken and egg problem. To get out of this we set up a plan to get a container which we could lock. But that would not be there for this vacation. Then Maaike’s parents asked: “Would it be of any use if we were there with some tools to clear away the burrs, bushes and so on?” Of course that would be great! We were happy that they were enthusiastic and by itself there was a plan to do

El Vicino

In May we went to 'our' village to show it to the parents of Maaike. So we drove there and after a half our drive with a lot of corners we were a bit drowsy getting out of the car. And there stood a friendly man in blue overalls.  He seemed Spanish we asked Maaike to talk to him. But she did not know what to say. So we looked at each other for a couple of minutes.  Then he started to tell that the village is empty which we agreed upon off course. He also told that the village was being bought by some people. Maaike asked if she should reply and we said yes please do. After telling the we are the mysterious people we are buying the village he started to tell a lot of stories. His name is Gerardo. He was born in the village and now lives in Burgos and in the summer in Abajas.  He knew about the buy because he owns a parcel of land and did not want to sell. He want to keep it for income and only wants to rent it out. So we talked about that for a bit and as we were interested in k

Finding the right pieces of land

When we first visited B├írcena de Bureba we where guided by the current owner Marcelino. As we where interested, we told him about our project Ardbol. We explained him that we needed about 5 to 10 hectares of land. He replied that it was no problem, he knew many farmers in the area. Soon we got an image of the land area (See image below) from Marcelino without any explanation but it looked promising.  We assumed the black crosses where the pieces of land we could buy. When I checked it on the Spanish cadastral website some pieces where quite clear but some existed out of many small parts.  After the price negotiation we where anxiously waiting on which pieces of land we could buy. In august we got a large zipfile with new information. As Yasmin could not open it and we where on mobiles we needed to wait until we where behind a computer, which of course added on to the tension. Finally we could open it. In it where 64 files. 60 of each house and 4 for the land. See the next image in whic